Nightmares Come At Night (Blu-ray)
For years considered a lost Franco film (after having played at a single theatre in Belgium), NIGHTMARES COME AT NIGHT (Les cauchemars naissent la nuit) was rediscovered in 2004 and has been recognized as a key film in the evolution of Franco's cinema, which in 1970 was assuming a dreamlike logic, governed more by the director's libido than traditional horror movie structure.
Diana Lorys (The Awful Dr. Orlof ) stars as a sultry dancer who falls under the hypnotic control of the sinister blonde Cynthia (Colette Giacobine) and begins to suffer terrifying hallucinations, from which not even a gifted psychiatrist (Paul Muller) can save her. Meanwhile, a pair of jewel thieves (Soledad Miranda and Jack Taylor) hide out at a nearby house, biding their time until they can confront Cynthia for their share of a recent heist.
Director: Jess Franco
Cast: Diana Lorys, Collette Jack [Colette Giacobine], Paul Muller, Susann Korda [Soledad Miranda], Andrés Monales, Jack Taylor.
- Mastered in HD from an archival 35mm print
- French with optional English subtitles
- English dubbed
- Audio commentary by Tim Lucas, critic and co-editor of Video Watchdog
- "Eugénie's Nightmare of a Sex Charade," a 20-minute documentary by Daniel Gouyette on the making of the film (including interview footage of Jess Franco)
- "Jess! What Are You Doing Now?" an 8-minute homage to Jess Franco by Daniel Gouyette, featuring interviews with Franco's friends and collaborators
- Visual essay on the creation of the HD master
BBFC Rating: 18
System: 1080p High Definition
Region: All Regions
Language: French, English